martedì 26 dicembre 2006

Why I make mountains out of mole hills and then climb them

“Did you notice the way he scratched his left eyebrow when he said jumping cow? ...that HAD to mean something!”
In my own little world everything and anything MEANS something...that something then gets flipped around and analysed from every angle until...well until nothing really. See, I’m aware of it but I can’t seem to get a hold of myself. It’s an innate part of my tortuous personality. I recently discovered* that i’ve always been a female, taller and less chubby version of Hercule Poirot. What really makes me different to Hercule (aside from having a much less waxed mustache**) is that I don’t resolve mysteries...I create them. If my head is not buzzing about something or the other I’m unhappy. The most banal word, sentence, body movement, sneeze –you name it- sets of an insane chain reaction. Firstly I see or hear it, then I try and connect it with the setting, then i think about it (this thought can last a minute just as it can last a year or more***) once i’ve thought about it i start consulting Captain Hastings (namely: mother, sister Y and S). I drive them all mad and force them to help me build my mountains with the little mole hill earth and worms I have. They eventually get bored and stand at the foot of the mountain watching me as I begin my solitary climb. From time to time i shout down at them with details of my findings (or non-findings). Sometimes I actually make it to the top of my mountain but have little time to revel in my achievement because I become instantly aware of yet another banal word, sentence, body movement, sneeze-you name it- and I’m off again...
This overanalysing is quite terrible and leads to an unhealthy stomach but, unfortunately for my little grey cells, I find it to be quite fun and I honestly don’t know how to stop doing it!

*through a series of emails exchanged with a friend who i used to go to school in england with ages 11-16
** i don’t actually have a mustache...i’m quite insecure and feel the need to highlight this point
*** i’m still analysing a head tilt that happened nearly two years ago...(i’m serious and probably also a bit sick)

Nessun commento: